22 February 2009

Serendipity

I just finished reading and reviewing Astrid & Veronika by Linda Olsson, which I loved. Tonight as I was browsing some of the Sunday Salon posts, I found a review of Rena's Promise: A Story of Sisters in Auschwitz by Rena Kornreich Gelissen with Heather Dune Macadam. Over my college career which has spanned thirty years, I have tried to read every Holocaust narrative that I hear about. I completed my MA in European History in 1996, so it has been rather spotty research since then. Not the point, other than my interest in the book. Our library has an electronic copy, so I started looking at it tonight. Think back to my Astrid & Veronika review as you read the following dedication to Rena's Promise:

Dear Mama and Papa:
This book is for you. For fifty years
I've been telling you this story in my mind.
Now it's finally written down
and I won't have to tell it anymore.
Love, Rena

And for Danka:
Without you there would
be no story. (p. v)

I hope that in finding the words to share her story that Rena found some peace. I will lovingly read her story with hope and admiration.

LibrarysCat

No comments: