08 July 2008

Tuesday Thingers


Tuesday Thingers
Since we're past the Fourth of July and the summer season has officially started, what are your plans for the summer? Vacations, trips? Trips that involve reading? Reading plans? If you're going somewhere, do you do any reading to prepare? Do you read local literature as part of your trip? Have you thought about using the LT Local feature to help plan your book-buying?

First, I am not sure what it has been like where you guys live, but it has been summer for quite some time here in Northwest Florida. I mean, it has been HOT! As for vacations or plans for the summer, I am going to go to Andover, Greece, Miami, the Hamptons, and a few other choice places. Fortunately (or unfortunately depending on your point of view) I do not have to spend any money at all - because these places are all in books - FREE books that I am so happy to read and review. I guess another good thing about not going anywhere is that I better be getting busy reading, because I need to be reviewing these as well. I have started two of them, but I am so busy grading at this point in the semester that I don't have a lot of free time. As for the why no vacation - we only have two staff members in my small library and it is really hard for either of us to take off for a whole week. In fact, the university is closed the week of Christmas until January 2nd and we get to be off without taking leave, so my boss asked that our small library be closed from the last day of the semester. So we are off for about three weeks. It is so wonderful that it is almost worth no summer vacation.

LibrarysCat

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

It's a good thing I always look at everyone's blog... You would've missed out on the 5 extra entries for blogging the contest! You didn't tell me! :-D

I'm with you on books being the next best thing to being there... and it IS a lot cheaper. Right now, I'm in Paupa New Guinea looking for a missing American (reading The White Mary) And, I don't have to worry about the witch doctor putting the humbug on me or catching malaria and dying. In this case, I'd say it's better than being there.

Does working in the library kill the "locked in the library" fantasy?

Kathleen Gilligan said...

Lol for a second there I was so jealous when you said Greece!

Elizabeth said...

I was getting jealous that you were taking SO MANY trips - then realized, hey, I am too! =)