19 February 2008

10: Are You There God, it's me Margaret

TITLE: Are You There God, it's me Margaret
AUTHOR: Judy Blume
COPYRIGHT: 1980
PAGES: 128
TYPE: Fiction
RECOMMEND: Yes, because it is a classic.


I suspect this book is only interesting to those of us who came of age in the 1960s or 1970s. Don't get me wrong, I loved it. But today's young people are exposed to so much, so early that I am not sure the topics which probably landed this book on the Top 100 Challenged Books 1990-2000 are really that interesting! But for me, I remember the first time I saw an ad on television for Tampax - I thought I would die of embarrassment. This book brought back that memory. For today's young person, that is mild compared to what they see on television. At any rate, you might try to use this book as the starting point of a discussion about how television and society have changed.

No comments: